Monday, May 4, 2009

Underestimating the Power of Friendship


I have been blessed with many friends, and most of you know that I come from a huge family. I also know many from church and the community. This was an ordeal of such magnitude that I let people know right away when I learned that my sister had cancer. I needed their prayers! Although I had talked about her, no one had really ever met her before. I knew they would pray, but I really didn't think everyone would care so much. I expected a lot less from them. I underestimated them.

Many felt genuinely sorry about the whole situation. The amount of emails, phone calls, cards, flowers, and even gifts has been nothing short of amazing. Lots of my friends have called and emailed to check on me and I am so grateful. I belong to a club and we meet once a month. I had mentioned about my sister's passing only to the director, because I couldn't participate for a week. To my surprise she commented that her mother had died of Ovarian Cancer at the age of 42. Everyone has a loss story in some form. I just didn't expect to meet someone from a lighthearted outlet that would mirror my story. She gave me a beautiful bracelet with words of inspiration and a frame charm for a picture of my sister.

A burden shared is a burden halved.

No comments:

Post a Comment